Saturday, May 24, 2008

A REMINDER TO ALL PARENTS...

ABOUT HOW IN A MOMENTS TIME YOUR CHILD CAN GET INTO SOMETHING DANGEROUS AND COULD BE SERIOUSLY INJURED. SO MOMS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING AROUND YOUR HOME, NOW!, AND MAKING SURE EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING THAT YOUR CHILD COULD POTENTIALLY GET INTO IS PUT UP SO HIGH THERE IS NOT EVEN A CHANCE THEY COULD REACH IT.

THIS INCLUDES: CLEANING PRODUCTS, MEDICINES, COSMETICS, HOUSEHOLD PLANTS, PESTICIDES, PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AND VITAMINS (especially those with iron), there is no cure if they have an iron overdose! THIS IS THE LIST WE RECEIVED YESTERDAY IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM!

Yesterday was my birthday and a memorable one to say the least. We spent our morning in the Rideout ER with Braiden. Braiden was able to get the top of the tylenol bottle off and drink alot of tylenol before we even knew it happened. When asked if he drank any he said "no". We now know that he said "no" because he knows he would have gotten in trouble. Well my "mommy instinct" must have kicked in because I started to freak out that he could have drank some and the possibilities of what could happen. So I called poison control (there number is on the back of most cleaning products) and they recommended us bringing him in to an emergency room, because they could test his levels for tylenol immediately and get the results back within hours instead of days at a regular lab. We were shocked to say the least when they came back to let us know that he drank an almost toxic amount. I can tell you I felt like the parent of the year at that moment :(

Well thankfully our heavenly father was watching out for Braiden, because Braiden's levels went down with the next blood test, his liver was fine and we were released to go home.

So I share all of this with you, so you can prevent this from happening in your home and something serious happening to your little ones. I never thought this would happen in our home because we are responsible, loving parents, but you can never underestimate your child!

Here are a few more recommendations we received:

Never leave the items listed above on counters, open shelves, refrigerator top, window sills or at the sink.

THE NIGHTSTAND WAS MY MISTAKE!

Keep these items in their original containers. To a toddler, furniture polish in an apple juice bottle can look like something good to drink. Clearly mark all harmful products if a different bottle is used.

Lock-up all medicines and harmful substances. Keep them out of sight and out of reach. Do not underestimate a toddler's reach. A toddler can drag a chair to a counter, climb on it and open a cupboard.

Be careful with medicines carried in purses and briefcases.

I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW MUCH HARMFUL ITEMS ARE IN MY PURSE!

Don't trust Child-Proof tops to protect your child. A persistent two year old can get these open or break the bottle open by stomping on it.

IT OBVIOUSLY WAS NOT THAT HARD FOR BRADIEN TO OPEN!

Never refer to any medicine as "candy". It gives children a dangerous idea about medicine.

GUILTY!

When taking your own medicine, do so in private. Children learn by watching.

GUILTY OF THIS ONE TOO!

When guests come to visit, remind them not to leave their medicine in reach of children.

When visiting a friend or relative with your child, be aware that their home may not be poinson-proofed.

WE ARE HAPPY TO REPORT BRAIDEN IS DOING JUST FINE AND WILL NOW BE BUBBLE-WRAPPED AND NEVER BE LEFT ALONE UNTIL HE IS LIKE 30! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PRAYED FOR BRAIDEN YESTERDAY!

10 comments:

Kelsey said...

I'm glad to hear that he's okay.

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness... I am so glad Braiden is fine. What a lesson for all of us parents. I am guilty of a few items on your list! I will take this lesson and go clean up! I especially liked the reminder of purses... I am guilty of keeping allergy medicine in my purse... and sometimes my purse is left low. Ugh... I get goose-bumps just thinking of what you must have went through yesterday.
Also, this weekend, Glenn & I are going around the house and securing all our furniture to studs in the wall. I don't think you can under-estimate the determination of a toddler when they want something. I just read about how dangerous this can be.

Thank you for such a reminder. I am thanking God that Braiden is ok. Give him a big hug from us!

Oh... and Happy Birthday too!! :)

Love, Sarah H.

Crowley Adoption said...

I'm so pleased to hear everything is ok with little Braiden. These kids are amazing when they want to get into something, aren't they? Sounds like the only reason he's ok is because your Mom instincts kicked in and you took the cautious approach. Good for you...in the end it turned out to be a great birthday with Braiden home and doing fine. Hope you get to celebrate with some fun and cake though really soon!

Take care.

Proudfoot Family said...

I'm so happy to hear Braiden is okay. What a scary day. I hope you managed to have a better birthday after you left the hospital :) Love ya.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad that Braiden is OK. That must have been so scary for you. Thank you for sharing all of the tips and Happy Birthday ( a day late)!

Anonymous said...

Wow...that's scary! I'm glad Braiden is ok!

Leah said...

Wow that is something that you always fear. Thank you for sharing that story with us we all need to hear those things sometimes it makes us better prepared as parents. That must have been so scary. I am glad he is fine. I hope that you had a great birthday anyways.
Leah

Tim, Casey, Landon, and Claire said...

Oh my goodness! I feel for you guys and poor little Braiden. We've called poison control a time or two and it's terrifying! Thankfully we've never ended up in the ER. Praise God that all went well and Braiden is just fine. I'm sure he shaved a few years off you life though.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Rich and Karyn Speakman said...

I'm so happy that he is okay! Poor lil' guy. Your instincts are amazing - - never doubt yourself as a parent! God bless you guys.

Kelly said...

WOW!! The EXACT same thing happened to Taryn 2 weeks ago! I left a 4oz bottle of Triaminic on the bathroom counter (main ingredient is tylenol) While I was busy nursing Dylan she drank the whole bottle dry (I cannot get her to drink anything unless it's in a sippy cup so I found it interesting that she'll drink out of a medicine bottle) The child cap didn't work at all. I immediately called poison congrol (I have a magnet on my fridge with the number) They sait it was a toxic amount and to get her to ER but not to speed (yeah right!) She vomited some on the way which was good. We basically force fed her charcole to absorb her stomach which made her vomit more. Her tylenol level 2 hours after indegestion was 106 where 5-20 is normal at 4 hours after indegestion her number was down to 74 so they sent us home.

PS- I'm a friend of Casey's... Remember, my daughter had a death grip on your legs because she thought you were me at Landon's party. That was too funny.